Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tuesday...already??!

I simply cannot believe this has happened, but it has. I was supposed to go away and come back with a zippy new blog site, but that has not happened. Life got in the way. I'm glad for that because without life, hmmmmm, well, there wouldn't be any blog!! HA!!

Sooo, today's entry is a card I made using one of the new hostess sets from the brand-spankin'-new Idea Book and Catalog!!! This card is made with Wings of Friendship, Hostess Level 2. Grrr!! Scanning this picture didn't do anything "good" for the colors I used!! They are MUCH softer IRL and the Barely Banana, a really pretty yellow, just screams at you here! ARRGGG!!! I used Barely Banana for the base, Whisper White for the layered and stamped image and Chocolate Chip for the scalloped oval behind the stamped sentiment. I used Brocade Blue and Chocolate Chip for the blue and brown colors and Marvy Marker's Bubble Gum Pink for the pink color (I haven't got all the SU markers yet, but I'm working on that!) I stamped and colored the bird and flourish on WW card stock, then stamped the little bird again, cut it out, and layered it using Dimensional Dots. I used double-sided tape to attach the stamped and layered image on the card base. I used a tiny pearl for the eye that I found at WalMart - it has sticky stuff on the backside so I didn't have to worry with glue on the pearl. I punched a scalloped oval in Chocolate Chip and layered the stamped sentiment using double sided tape. Truthfully, in real life, the card is very pretty, but I'll admit, with the flourishes in the corners, it still needs something. It's a standard 5.5 x 4.25 card, but I'm thinking I should have run a ribbon along the bottom or at least some DSP. Thoughts? Suggestions?

In case you're wondering where I've been, my DH and I went to Tennessee to help my sister and her husband move their business. They had grown so much that they were literally crammed into every inch of their little location, so they bought an older but MUCH larger office building about 3 miles from their older location. They wanted to be down for 2 days and turnkey by the following Monday. I'm happy to say they did it! Their new office digs are bright, colorful (and I mean COLORFUL!!!), and each employee now has his/her own office space. The business is Spectrum Lighting in Germantown, Tennessee. They sell lights (HA!!) to commercial enterprises such as buildings, coliseums, schools, malls, etc. I'm proud of them - they've done very well in their business!! So, to you my sister and brother-in-law, thanks for letting us "help" you!!

That's the news for today, but before I leave, let me give you a tip for the day:
I have a very hard time with regular tweezers, trying to hold tiny pearls steady enough to drop them where they belong. When I was shopping in Tennessee, I found a pair of reverse tweezers and decided to try them. I LOVE THEM!!! I should have bought them a looonng time ago! They work in reverse - you squeeze open around the object and when you let go, the object is held by the tweezers, relieving your hand! I found mine at Michaels, but I believe you can find them at ACMoore or Hobby Lobby. Well worth the drive and the money!!!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely use of the new hostess set. That little bird is a cutie. Sorry I've been away!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the card just the way it is, but a touch of DSP or ribbon would add weight to the bottom of the card.

    I just noticed on Kathy's blog entry today, a bird--I think it was done with a die cut. Can't wait to see the catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks good as it is. If you want to add something else, maybe you could try cutting some flowers out of DP and adding those to seee if that gives it extra punch. If not, you can save them for later.

    ReplyDelete