Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Friend card for a Friend

I belong to several fab groups of carders and have made good friends from border to border and ocean to ocean! If we ever met in person, whoa! What a party!! We're always setting challenges and conducting swaps with each other. We even make cards for non-profit organizations, but that's a story for another day. Here's a card I did recently for a friend out in the "Wild West". Most of the products are from Stampin' Up, but the patterned paper is actually doll house wallpaper! (See what I mean about shopping "everywhere"?) I just liked the look of the whole thing. Nothing fancy, just a sweet card for a friend.

A side note - we got a phone call from our tax lady this morning - all good news and bad news (well, consider the news itself!). So, I owe, owe, owe the IRS and West Virginia....of course! The good news - we beat the deadline with 4 days to spare and frankly, that just added more gray hair. So, I colored it - the hair I mean! HA!

Tip of the day:
As Norm Abram, guru to the woodworkers, would say: Measure twice, cut once. That's even more important to a carder when she is measuring expensive patterned paper! When you do cut, cut only one sheet at a time, even if you're pressed for time. Nothing more heartbreaking to realize you've made a measuring error and ruined not one, but two pieces of paper! ('Nuff said - voice of experience!)

8 comments:

  1. Mel that is a wonderful tip, I just lived though that measuring nightmare this week on a card. I measured like 40 times and still cut wrong! Oh well some days are just that way! That is a great card and that retired stamp, I can't remember the name of it now was one of my favorites, the others in that set are all good too.
    TFS
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel,
    What wonderful followers you have. I love reading their comments and yours, of course.

    By the way, I finally figured out how to receive a notification in my mailbox when you and Kathy post something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! The paper is beautiful.

    Thanks also for the tip, I have many, many scrap folders from oopsing up on measuring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA HA... try ruining 4 sheets... Christmas card assembly line nightmare...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever use of the paper! Love the card. Very pretty. Congrats on having your taxes done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great springy card. She will love it, especially in the "wild west". Aren't they still getting cold and snow in some areas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card and very good tip! As I tell my ladies when I teach a class, "I make all the mistakes in advance for you so you don't have to!" It never fails when you're in a hurry, that's when all goes wrong!

    ReplyDelete